Vantage Learning
Canter Courses FAQ
Important Information and FAQs About Canter Courses

Important state-specific information:

All States: Walden University grants three semester hours of graduate credit for each successfully completed course. Credit may be applicable for certification renewal and/or salary advancement (NOTE: It is a student's responsibility to check with his/her state/district and evaluate and understand any requirements related to the use of individual courses for any purpose). Total coursework for each course is equivalent to a 45 contact-hour course. Course outlines are available upon request; please call 800-669-9011.

Walden graduate courses are not available in Arkansas.

Alabama and Kentucky residents may take Canter courses on a non-credit, materials-only basis. See Canter Non-Credit Option for more details.

Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, New York, Nebraska and Oregon: Some restrictions apply in these states. Please call 800-669-9011 before you register.

Washington State: Prospective Washington state students are advised to contact the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction at 1-360-725-6275 or to determine whether Walden’s education programs are approved for teacher certification or endorsements in Washington state. Additionally, teachers are advised to contact their individual school district as to whether the program may qualify for salary advancement.

Accreditation, Prerequisites, and Credit Acceptance FAQs

Q. Is Walden University an accredited institution?
A. Yes, Walden University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association,; 312-263-0456.

Q. Are there any prerequisites to taking one of the graduate courses?
A. If you are taking the courses for credit, you must have a bachelor’s degree or above to enroll and receive credit. Additionally, as with any course, you must always check with your district office, state department of education and/or degree-granting institution before enrolling.

Q. Teachers in our district need graduate credit for licensure renewal, salary advancement, plus credits, and master’s electives. Do these courses apply?
A. Many teachers have taken these graduate courses and have used the credits for salary advancement, license renewal, plus credits, and electives in master’s degree programs. However, It is a student's responsibility to check with his/her state/district and evaluate and understand any requirements related to the use of individual courses for any purpose.

Q. How can I get supporting course materials to present to my district or program for approval?
A. Course overviews are available for you to present to your school district office or the university providing your planned program. You can request these by calling 800-669-9011.

Enrollment FAQs

Q.What does the course tuition cover?
A. The tuition includes earned graduate credit and all the materials you need to complete the course, including a study guide, DVD lessons, a course textbook with required readings and an information packet.  If you select the online format, you will access the course, study guide, and videos online; you still receive the textbook and DVDs.

Q. How does the Self-Paced Model Work?
A. There are nine steps to completing your coursework:
  1. Select from two convenient formats: print or online. With the online format there are no required login times and you still receive a course textbook and DVDs. The online format requires a high-speed Internet connection.
  2. Work at your own pace: follow the printed course study guide or study online, depending on the format you choose.
  3. Begin your class as soon as you receive your course materials.
  4. Watch our informative videos in DVD or online format, featuring nationally recognized education experts.
  5. Complete readings from textbooks, journals, and/or the Internet.
  6. Collaborate with one or more colleagues, sharing and gaining valuable feedback. With the online format, you will collaborate via a discussion board.
  7. Apply the skills you are learning—as you learn them—in your own classroom.
  8. Complete assignments and a three- to five-page reflection paper.
  9. Submit coursework to the university for grading.
Q. What are the system requirements for the online format?
A. The online format requires the following:
  • Operating system for PC: Windows® XP or Vista®
  • Operating system for Mac®: OS X or higher
  • Processor: 1 GHz, 32/64 bit or higher
  • Memory: Minimum 512 MB of RAM; 1 GB recommended
  • Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer® 6.0 or higher, Firefox® 2.0 or higher
  • Internet connection: broadband (DSL, cable modem, or similar) required
  • Software: Microsoft Word®, Adobe® Flash® 7 or higher (free), Adobe® Acrobat® Reader® version 8 or higher (free)
  • Monitor resolution: 1280 x 800 or higher

Q. What is a Study Partner and why do I need one?
A. For print & DVD format, you need to have a Study Partner or Peer Coach, preferably an educator. A Study Partner's role is to participate in study team activities and provide discussion and feedback as directed in the course study guide. Many Canter students say this is one of the aspects of the course they found most beneficial.

Q. I’ve never taken a graduate course on DVD or online. What if I don’t like it?
A. Walden University offers new students a no-risk registration. Register for any course on a 15-day trial basis. If you're not completely satisfied, withdraw from the course and return course materials for a full refund.. If after 15 days you’re not completely satisfied, call us at 800-669-9011 to withdraw from the course, return the course materials, and receive a full refund.

Q. What is your Cancellation Policy?
A. To cancel, please call 1-800-669-9011 within 45 calendar days of registering for your course in order to receive a refund of tuition, less a $65 cancellation fee.

Q. What do I do if I have questions about the coursework?
A. If you have questions about the coursework, course content, grades or transcripts, call to speak with graduate course representative at 800-669-9011.